Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Is it safe to fast one day a week to cleanse your body?

I eat healthy Monday through Friday because I'm trying to lose weight, but Friday nights and Saturdays are my cheat days. I'm doing the Weight Watchers points thing and it seems to be working. I was thinking that since I eat more than usual on my cheat day that I should take Sundays to cleanse my system to get ready for Monday again. Is it healthy to do this?Is it safe to fast one day a week to cleanse your body?
For an otherwise healthy individual, fasting once a week is perfectly safe (of course you need some fluids) although I would recommend fasting every 2-3 weeks once you reach your ideal body weight...Our bodies have mechanisms that can cope with the lack of sufficient calories for short periods of time (glycogen stores, gluconeogenesis, etc.). Actually, if you keep on doing this you will notice that you will hardly ever feel hypoglycemic anymore after skipping a meal (these mechanisms are ';trainable'; as everything else in our body)....





I have been fasting once every 2-3 weeks on a regular basis for the past decade or so; my motives have nothing to do with losing weight (my body fat percentage is around 6-7%, I weigh 175lbs, and I am 5' 11'' tall) or religious / spiritual / philosophical beliefs; this is just part of maintaining my body in an optimal condition. I eat healthy all the time though without having ';cheat days';...I have to admit that I don't know what you mean exactly by ';cheat days';; if during these days you overload your body with refined carbohydrates and lipids then all the things I described in the previous paragraph may not work optimally...Is it safe to fast one day a week to cleanse your body?
You are very welcome. Be well... Report Abuse

Fasting doesn't work like that. One day won't do anything for you.





When on a healthy diet (ie, eating correctly). it is great to have a cheat day. In the beginning, you eat more than normal and you eat EVERYTHING, but that won't last forever.





Keep up the good work.
Yeah but u don't have to just don't have to much on your cheat days
Drinking a lot of water with lemon juice in it will do a lot more for cleansing your body than fasting will. Fasting is a religious term meaning to eat very little or abstain from certain foods usually replacing that time with prayer and meditation.
  • myspace.com mp3
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment